To join a small development team in a small dynamic company where you can make a difference. You will be a key member of the team, with significant autonomy and ability to drive best practices and the direction of the team. We care about the quality of the code we produce and will take the time to improve existing code, without just bolting new bits on haphazardly. We will provide all the tools needed to do your job and help you in improving your skill base. You will have a key role in developing some new products without undue interference from management.
Who are we?
SalamanderSoft is a small but growing software house providing integration products and services to the education sector in the UK. As part of our growth, we are now looking for one or two C# developers to design, develop and implement our products.
Our products integrate school management systems with Active Directory, Office 365, G Suite, SharePoint and other products. Although mainly written in C# they use a number of different technologies to integrate with all the different systems, from REST and SOAP web APIs to direct database access and custom object models. We use agile methodologies as much as possible. The product set has been developed over the last 10 years and so is quite mature, but there is constant change as new features are added to the systems we integrate with and as we add support for new products. We are also in the process of developing two more complimentary products which will be your initial main focus.
SalamanderSoft currently consists of 11 employees, the majority of which are operations/support staff. It is a small close-knit company and our ethos is to provide excellent service to our customers and to be the best at what we do. This is reflected in the fact that all our sales are via word of mouth/recommendations – we do not have a sales team, and we are still growing strongly. All our roles are remote working, so you will be working from home.
We have a great reputation with our customers as evidenced by this thread on EduGeek: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/recommended-suppliers/160503-salamandersoft-singing-praises.html
Who we are looking for
The current development team consists of 2 developers. Up until the beginning of this year, the company founder has been the sole developer, before bringing on the first additional member of the team. We are now looking for additional team members to enable further growth of the company and product set. We would be happy to consider both senior and junior developers. The role could be full-time or part-time for the right candidate and will be a home-based role so you will need to be comfortable and effective working from home. Although home-working sounds great and offers a lot of flexibility it is not for everybody.
The exact skills we are looking for will depend on your experience, although C# is a core requirement. However, your attitude will be key, we will be looking for someone who:
- uses their initiative and gets things done
- has successfully delivered at least one project
- has enthusiasm and interest in development and technology.
- wants to be the best that they can be and strives for excellence
- is able to work independently and remotely
- has a hunger to learn new skills
- wants to drive best-practices and processes
For a senior developer we would also be expecting agile skills, especially test driven development.
One of the new products is an ASP.NET Core web application and so either experience with web applications or a desire to learn these skills is essential.
As this is a remote role you will need a suitable area for working in your home, a broadband connection and probably a kettle.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in the UK and, due to the nature of the sector we work in, we require all employees to be DBS checked.
What we will do for you
- A chance to work on the latest technologies (especially Office 365, Google and Azure)
- The ability to drive best practices and processes within the development team
- Significant autonomy
- Training resources and all appropriate technology, software and tools will be provided
- Support you in improving your current skillset and to work with and develop new ones
- The opportunity to attend some conferences/events/training during the year
- A competitive salary, dependent on experience together with pension contributions
- Flexibility in working hours when required, although our customers’ needs have to come first
- The opportunity to get rid of your daily commute
- 5 weeks paid holiday per year plus bank holidays
- Expenses paid on any business travel
- Paid Certification attempts
If you are interested in joining our team, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with anything you want to support your application. Links to social media and code repositories would be great as well. Noting where you saw the ad would be helpful to us.
If you would like more information or an informal chat about the role, please contact Richard Willis, email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 27th January 2019.
First interviews are expected to be conducted via a Video Call w/c 28th January 2019 with the intention for new team members to start on Monday 1st April 2019.